Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How Much Do You Love Jesus? (by Carolyn Marshall)

The way we live our lives is changing more and more each day. Work is harder and longer. Family and fellowship time seems to get shorter and shorter. And, for many, personal worship time to build a closer relationship with our Lord and Savior seems to get put to the bottom of the list of important things we need to do.

So many of us are living such fast-paced lives, it's hard to even catch our breath. We need to work to provide for our families and we need to unwind from all the chaos of "life". But where do we stand when it comes to spending time with our Best Friend, Jesus? Do we begin our day, or end it, with even a few minutes of quiet time with Him in prayer and the scriptures? Or are we too rushed in the mornings to get started and too tired in the evening to even think about it? When we do have extra time, are we sitting in front of the television, computer, or doing other activities to "relax"? Where do we put our first priority?

We do need to work to support our families, and we do need to unwind and be with our families and friends. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a nice house, car, and all the "toys" that are fruits of our physical labor. But do we love and value these things more than our Lord?

Today I was faced, once again, with answering this question on a personal level when I listened to the song Lovest Thou Me written by Bill Gaither in the 1950s and sung by Ernie Haase & Signature Sound. The words are below the video. Think about them. Can we say them and really mean it in our heart and soul? Absolutely, we can! But we have to have a relationship with Him that comes from total surrender. It really is simple. If we love Him more than all the things of the world, our lives will show it, and He will know it.


Modern times have brought us many blessings
People live in wealth and luxury
But the Master asks this question
Lovest thou me, lovest thou me, more than these?
I love Thee more than this old world could offer
All sinful follies I deny for Thee
My love, my life, my all, I pledge Thee.
I love thee Lord, I love thee Lord, more than these.
More than these.

(Chorus)
Lovest thou me, more than these my child?
What will your answer be?
Oh precious Lord, I love Thee more than all of these
More than fame
More than wealth
More than the world
More than fame
More than wealth
More than the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment